Are you planning a plane trip?
Everything you need to know to prepare your luggage properly.
- It is not obligatory to bring cabin baggage. However, if this is the case, its weight is regulated and its content will be analyzed.
- Liquids are particularly monitored. By liquid we mean any liquid, creamy or pasty solution, but also aerosols. Some examples: Liquid shampoo, perfume, shower gel, lotion, toothpaste, oil, water, soft, yogurt, soup, etc. On the other hand, products in powder form, such as make-up, powdered deodorant, toothpaste powder, powder shampoo and shower gel powder are not subject to this regulation.
- Liquids are limited. Each liquid product package can only contain MAXIMUM 100ml! This means that a bottle of shampoo with a capacity of 100ml will pass. But if you take a 150ml bottle of shampoo that is half full, you will fail. Take 2 bottles of 100ml instead of 1 of 200ml. This is the thing!
- All bottles containing liquids MUST be placed in a 20cm x 20cm transparent plastic bag (1 liter capacity). The bag must be removed from the carry-on baggage when going through the x-ray screening.
- The quantity of bottles of maximum 100ml is not limited. However, keep in mind that carry-on baggage is limited in weight and the heavier the baggage, the more fuel the aircraft will consume.
- Do not pick up any sharp or pointed objects such as knives, scissors, or other blades or objects that could be dangerous. This will allow you to pass air security checks much faster, and you will avoid confiscation on the spot. Confiscated objects are put in the trash, without any possibility of being able to recover them. Think about it!
- Of course, this is obviously, but nevertheless important to remember, firearms, explosives and other flammable, chemical, or radioactive products are strictly prohibited on board.
- Household products like bleach, paint stripper, white spirit, etc. are not allowed.
- Mercury thermometers are not allowed on board.
- If you are archer, place your bow and arrow in the hold baggage. If you are a baseball player, place your bat in the hold baggage. It’s better !
- Not all airlines automatically provide hold baggage. Check to see if this is included in the price of the trip.
- Hold baggage is checked in on arrival at the airport, before going through security checks. On the other hand, you will take the cabin baggage to the plane. The hold baggage is analyzed without your presence and if the police or customs have a question, they can call you throughout the airport to ask you to come and open your suitcase, and proceed to a control. They also have the possibility of opening your luggage in order to check its contents. Better to be in order to avoid this inconvenience!
- The weight of hold baggage is regulated. Double check the maximum weight on your reservation. A difference in authorized weight is possible depending on the airline, the rate chosen, and the destination. In general, the authorized weight varies from 15Kg to 30Kg per piece of luggage. Keep in mind, however, that the heavier the baggage, the more kerosene the aircraft will consume.
- Is the baggage too heavy? Some large airlines accept a certain weight tolerance, while low-cost airlines are very careful. The weight of the extra kilos is often very expensive. Pay attention !
- Liquids are not limited in the hold baggage. Be careful to protect the bottles so that they do not open during the various handling of the baggage by airport handlers. Place them in a bag, in the center of the luggage to protect them from all sides. The bag will protect your clothes if, unfortunately, a bottle should open.
- If you are bringing cabin baggage and hold baggage, consider dividing the contents between the two pieces of baggage. Pack the minimum amount of loundry and other basic equipment in your cabin baggage in case your hold baggage is lost. This will allow you to start your trip or vacation stress-free. Checked baggage can arrive a few days late.
- Take as little liquid as possible. Opt for tablet or powder solutions. There are interesting and natural solutions for toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, soap.
The eco-responsible touch.
Air travel is not necessarily great news from an ecological point of view. However, it is possible to make a gesture for the environment to compensate for the trip.
- Limit air travel, but if it is really imperative, you can pay attention to companies using planes or cleaner fuels. More and more airlines are opting in part for eco-fuels, or for modern planes that consume better and less kerosene.
- You have the possibility of compensating for your air travel(s) by plane through donations to environmental protection associations, such as the non-profit organization Graine de Vie, which will plant trees on a pro rata basis. of your carbon footprint linked to your trip. A great idea to remember! How to calculate your carbon foodprint for an airplane trip ? See on Myclimate.org
Have a nice trip !